August 2, 2018, the day of remembrance of the Holy prophet Elijah in the Holy Transfiguration Valaam monastery took place on the feast day of Elias monastery the monastery and the celebration of the 150 th anniversary of his consecration, according to the Synodal Department for monasteries and monasticism.
In this day the divine Liturgy in the monastery was headed by the Chairman of the Synodal Department for monasteries and monasticism, Abbot of Holy Trinity St. Sergius Lavra, Archbishop of Sergiev Posad Feognost.
His Eminence was assisted by hegumen of the Valaam monastery Bishop Trinity Pankraty and brethren in the priesthood.
Currently, Elias skete resides a few inhabitants, headed by stonachalniki hieromonk Elijah. The pilgrimage group visited Ilyinsky skete only with the blessing of Abbot of the monastery Bishop Trinity Pancras. In the dedication day was organized a special flight for pilgrims.
Ilyinsky skete is 10 km from the monastery on the island Lambos included in the group Biondich Islands. There is a mention of the fact that already in the XVIII century the island was a chapel. In the XIX century there lived several monks live.
In February, 1867, Abbot Damascene appealed to the Metropolitan of Novgorod and Saint Petersburg Isidore’s blessing to build on Lambese wooden Church in the name of the prophet Elijah. Already in 1868, a wooden Church was consecrated. Since that time the island was called Elias.
Near the Church was located two-storey wooden cell buildings for permanent living 10 brethren. Was arranged a well depth of 5 meters, the top of which issued hewn marble. Near the well the monks planted an orchard, and in different places of the monastery – the Avenue of firs and larches. Basic obedience the brethren were herding sheep whose wool was used to manufacture knitted garment and felt boots.
The presence of the brethren of Valaam monastery on the Islands Biondich in the first half of the nineteenth century to maintain order in this part of the archipelago, protected from poachers (“wicked men”), and also expanded the territory of Valaam monastery on the East.
In 1944, Valaam island, including a picture, and finally moved to the Soviet Union. In 1945, on the island, was opened sibpromkomplekt. All the plant employed about 500 people. The part of the fishermen lived in the former private buildings of the temple and Elias monastery.
In 1967, 100 years after the start of construction, the temple and the communal housing Elias monastery was completely burnt during a fire, the cause of which has still unknown: according to one version – the fault of the fishermen, on the other, the monastery was destroyed deliberately. By the end of the twentieth century from Elias monastery almost nothing left, only framed with marble a well, building foundations, ruins of Wharf and going from him up the hill of a beautiful larch alley.
The revival of the monastery began in 2003. Temple and communal housing began to rebuild on the old Foundation. Construction of a new temple, and a communal housing was completed by 2005. 26 Aug 2006 Bishop Trinity Pankraty, the Abbot of the Valaam monastery performed the rite of great consecration of the Church in the name of Holy prophet Elias. The icons in the bunk iconostasis was made in the icon workshop at the Trinity-Sergius Lavra. Near the temple was restored well Elias monastery is builded in the XIX century.