12 September 2018 in the Pechersky Holy ascension monastery in Nizhny Novgorod, the opening of the Museum of the Nizhny Novgorod branch of the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian society (IOPS), according to the Synodal Department for monasteries and monasticism. The Museum was created with the blessing of the member of this Department, Metropolitan of Nizhny Novgorod and Arzamas Georgy.
In the basement of the assumption Church contains exhibits depicting the history of the Nizhny Novgorod Department of the IOPS and on the activities of the organization as a whole. Among exhibits – photos, documents, articles belonging to the members of IOPS, pilgrims, Souvenirs from the Holy Land and more.
The opening ceremony was attended by the head of the Nizhny Novgorod Metropolia, Metropolitan of Nizhny Novgorod and Arzamas Georgy, member of the IOPS; the Minister of industry, energy and mining of Republika Srpska (Bosnia and Herzegovina) Petar jokić; head of the Department of the IOPS in the Republic of Serbian Archpriest Miladin Mitrovic, Director of the Museum of IOPS Grigory Manevich; Secretary of the Nizhny Novgorod diocesan administration Archpriest Sergy Matveev; the Abbot of Pechersky ascension monastery, Archimandrite Tikhon (zatekin) with the brethren; members of the Nizhny Novgorod Department of the IOPS, led by President Oleg Kolobov, guests and parishioners of the monastery.
At the beginning of the ceremony, the Archpastor congratulated everyone for this memorable day and noted that this day opens another page in the history of Nizhny Novgorod land. Now many will be able to learn more about the activities of the IOPS and its Nizhny Novgorod Department. “The connection with the Holy Jerusalem, with the places where took place the earthly life of our Lord Jesus Christ, is a spiritual base for the Russian people – said the Bishop. – God forbid that our children and grandchildren, coming to the Museum, learned new facets of the lives of their pious ancestors, and was once again convinced that the Russian people have great faith, great story, great state”.
Addressing the gathering, Petar jokić congratulated everyone on the opening of the Museum. He also said that currently in the capital of the Republic of Srpska, Banja Luka construction of the first Russian-Serbian Orthodox Church in honor of Saint Regal martyrs, symbolizing the inviolability of the Orthodox unity of our peoples. Now the Church, the construction of which Orthodox believers in the Republic of Srpska dream for many years, takes on a visible shape. IOPS also contributed to the implementation of such a significant for the Serbian and Russian peoples plan. Among the active participants in the construction – the leadership and members of the Department of the IOPS in the Republic of Srpska. “The Serbs are well known the role of Metropolitan of Nizhny Novgorod and Arzamas George in the revival of spiritual life of Russia, – said Petar jokić, his selfless activity, as well as the unprecedented scale practical contribution to the enriching Russian cultural heritage”.
Grigory Manevich, welcomed the participants on behalf of the Chairman of the IOPS Sergei Stepashin and myself. “The Nizhny Novgorod land is an amazing place where there was the first Chairman of our society Great Prince Sergei Alexandrovich and his wife Elizabeth Feodorovna, – said the Director of the Museum, and I am very pleased to be here today at the opening of the exhibition. For many years the Holy Land and Russia are linked, including through pilgrimage. And it is remarkable that in Nizhny Novgorod there was a Museum telling about the connection. Particularly important is the fact that it opened in the year of the 100th anniversary of the martyrdom of Tsar-Emperor Nicholas II and his family.”
Oleg Kolobov in his speech told about the work being done by the Nizhny Novgorod Department of the IOPS, and thanked Metropolitan Georgy for the promotion of its activities.
Archimandrite Tikhon, speaking at the ceremony, told how two years ago with the blessing of the ruling Bishop began to create the Museum gathered unique exhibits. The Abbot of the Pechersk monastery thanked the Archbishop and presented him with a gift a small bust of the Emperor Alexander I.
Then were presented with membership cards and signs ippo new members: Archpriest Sergy Matveyev, the vicar of Holy Transfiguration monastery Murom, hieromonk Simeon (Nesterov), Nizhny Novgorod Sergey Tumanin and Sergey Naumov.
Next was the awarding ceremony of the Romanov dynasty and the IOPS. In particular, the Imperial order of St. Anna of III degree was awarded Archpriest Sergei Matveev. Sergey Naumov was awarded the Imperial medal “In commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the great war 1914-1918”.
After the opening ceremony were given a tour around the Museum, after which IOPS members have laid a lime alley on “Romanovsky Alleya Slavy”.
The Imperial Orthodox Palestine society was established by decree of Emperor Alexander III in 1882. The first Chairman was the Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich Romanov, after his tragic death the society was headed by Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna, in the future – the Martyr.
Ippo was engaged in educational activity and works of charity. In the Holy Land opened farmstead for pilgrims, hospitals and educational institutions, were published in the Orthodox literature.
Since 1884 began to open departments of the IOPS in the cities of the Russian Empire. They were designed to strengthen the collection of donations in favor of Russian Palestine.
In 1897, this Department appeared in Nizhny Novgorod. The Chairman was the Bishop of Nizhny Novgorod and Arzamas and Vladimir (Nicholas).
After the 1917 revolution ippo existed as the Russian Palestinian society is a public organization operating under the Academy of Sciences of the USSR.
In 1992 the company was returned its historical name, goals and objectives. Now the Chairman of the IOPS is a prominent statesman Sergei Stepashin.
A new era in the history of Nizhny Novgorod Department of the IOPS began in the city of Gorky in 1974, when his (then Department of the Russian Palestinian society) headed by Professor of the University.And. Lobachevsky Oleg Kolobov.
With the beginning of the revival of spiritual life in the country into the ranks of the members of the organization joined many members of the clergy. Today the Deputy Chairman of the Nizhny Novgorod Department of the IOPS is the Abbot of Pechersky ascension monastery, Archimandrite Tikhon (zatekin). Nizhny Novgorod Department has more than 150 members. One of the major projects that was implemented by them in recent years – the creation of the territory of the monastery “Romanov’s walk of fame”.
According to the website of the Nizhny Novgorod Metropolia