The parents of 11-month-old Englishman Charlie Garda for months struggled to give his son treatment, but now it’s too late. According to some, that delay cost the baby’s life, he died in London. Last week, the judge ruled that the baby was taken to the hospice and was disconnected from life support systems. So ended lasting several months, the legal battle for the right to provide Charlie an experimental treatment because his parents found out that their son has nothing to help.

Grieving parents Charlie Garda said on Monday that his battle is over, because they refuse further attempts to get him to the US for experimental treatment.

“We are absolutely devastated. We decided that, as loving parents, we need to stop treating Charlie: it’s no longer in his best interest. We let go of our son to the angels,” said Chris Gard, the boy’s father.

Charlie was born with a rare genetic disease — syndrome of depletion of mitochondrial DNA. It causes progressive muscle weakness, brain damage and organ failure. Breathe Charlie could only with the staff. The London hospital at great Ormond street advocated to turn Charlie from artificial life support, claiming that any treatment will be useless and will only cause the child pain. Chris Gard and Connie Yates believed that their son has still not been brain dead, and believed that earlier treatment would have improved his quality of life.

“If Charlie would have received treatment sooner, he would have a chance to become a normal healthy boy. We will have to live with the question “what if?” He will haunt us for the rest of my life,” says Chris Gard.

About this case became known all over the world. Even Pope Francis and President of the trump expressed support for Charlie. Art Estopinan from Baltimore has also followed the case, because his six year old son having the same disease, successfully treated. When Connie Yates learned about the successful treatment of his son Estopinan, she contacted him and then met with Dr. Michio Hirano, a neuroscientist at Columbia University. At the beginning of last week, Dr. Hirano flew to England to examine Charlie. But the latest scans have shown that later — was irreparably damaged.

Estopinan said that he was devastated after learning that Charlie will be disconnected from the ventilator.

“Charlie Garda I see in my son. And, as a father, I am convinced that if the doctors here in the United States, as well as doctors from other countries, believed that Charlie can still help (they’re doctors, they’re experts!), they would have helped him,” says Art Estopinan.

Soon Charlie would have turned a year, but he died in a London hospital a week before his birthday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.