25 June 2018, the day of memory of venerable Arseny Konevsky, in the Central diocese opened the celebrations marking the 625th anniversary of the Konevsky Christmas-mother of God monastery located on the island of Konevets in lake Ladoga, according to patriarhiei.
The first part of the celebrations dedicated to the memorable date was held 11-13 June in Finland.
Opening of the celebrations in Russia, Bishop of Vyborg and Priozersky Ignatius, father superior of the Konevsky monastery, a few days ago he dedicated the stele with the Konevskaya icon of the Mother of God at the turn of the road St. Petersburg- Priozersk on the village of Fruit, where the road begins to Konevets. Praying at the service were arrived at the celebration Joinsource Bishop Arseny (Finnish Autonomous Orthodox Church), Bishop Nazariy of Kronstadt, Bishop of Caen and Boguchansky Filaret, Bishop of Roslavl and Desnogorskiy Meletios, the Abbot of the Holy Transfiguration, Novo-Valaam monastery Archimandrite Sergy (Rallapalli), the clergy of St. Petersburg Metropolia.
On the evening of 24 June all-night vigil at the monastery on Konevets island made by the Archbishop of Makhachkala and Grozny Varlaam, the Bishop Joinsource Arseny, Bishop of Vyborg and Priozersky Ignatius, Bishop Nazariy of Kronstadt, Bishop of Caen and Boguchansky Filaret, Bishop of Tikhvin and Lodeinoye pole, Mstislav, Bishop of Roslavl and Desnogorskiy Meletios, Abbot of the monastery, hegumen Alexander (Arva), the brethren of the monastery, who arrived with the hierarchs of the clergy.
At the celebration on the island of Konevets arrived about 1200 pilgrims.
On the morning of 25 June arhierei headed the divine Liturgy under the open sky from virgin’s Nativity Cathedral of the monastery.
Among the worshipers during the service were Vice-Governor of the Leningrad region S. N. Perminov and the head of the Vyborg district of the G. A. eagles.
Then there was a procession with the relics of St. Arseny Konevsky to the chapel of the apparitions of the blessed virgin. Bishop Ignatius turned with the word to the guests of the feast, the brethren of the monastery and pilgrims. “Today we are opening the jubilee year of the 625-th anniversary of the Konevsky Christmas-mother of God monastery. It’s not the holiday itself, and its eve. The closing of the jubilee year will make, his Holiness Patriarch Kirill on 23 July 2019. He gave his consent to visit our monastery and a divine Liturgy celebrated here at the monastery,” — said, in particular, the Archpastor.
Bishop Ignatius presented the diocesan award to the benefactors of the monastery.
Vice-Governor of Leningrad region S. N. Perminov announced greetings to the participants of the celebrations on behalf of the Governor of Leningrad region Alexander Drozdenko. Vyborg Secretary of the diocese Archpriest Dionisy Cold read out the greeting from the head of “Rosneft” Igor Sechin.
Then with words of welcome addressed the gathering Joinsource Bishop Arseny. On behalf of the diocese and Kapiskau Novo-Valaam monastery Vladyka Arseny gave a commemorative gift to the 625-th anniversary of the monastery.
* * *
The Konevsky Christmas-mother of God monastery was founded on the island in the Western part of Ladoga lake the monk Arseniy Konevsky in 1393. After the devastation in 1610 until the end of the Northern war, the island for over 100 years under Swedish rule, and the monastery of the Cathedral was almost destroyed, however, in the same XVII century, was revived from the ruins.
Since 1918, the Konevets island was part of Finland. In the 30s of the twentieth century, the building housed part of the Finnish army, the island was fortified with artillery. During the great Patriotic war in August 1944, the Konevets island was ceded to the Soviet Union.
In 1991, the Konevsky monastery was returned to Russian Orthodox Church. In 2013, Vyborg in the formation of the diocese, father superior of Konevsky monastery for the first time in history became the Archbishop — Bishop of Vyborg and Priozersky Ignatius.
The restoration of the Konevets coincided with the celebration of the 125th anniversary of the diocese of Vyborg, which was attended by Patriarch Kirill.
In the abode of the ongoing restoration work, with the participation of “Rosneft”. Connected external continuous power supply, is painted in the upper Church of the Cathedral of the monastery. Fully restored lower Church of the visitation, carried out external repairs of the Cathedral is painted in the upper Church. Reconstructed Abbot’s building, whose first floor now occupied by the monastery brethren (about 15 people, excluding staff).
Since 2001 she works as the Pilgrim service of the monastery, in March 2018 converted into a Single pilgrimage center of the diocese of Vyborg “Konevets”. The work of the monastery also supports the St. Petersburg metochion of the representation of Konevsky monastery in the Northern capital, where the temple is located in honour of Konevskaya icon of the Mother of God and the Pilgrim center office (Country, 7).