Church of the Epiphany of the Lord (1880-ies). View of the temple from the North, from B. Dorogomilovsky street
October 14, 2018, at 12.00 in the Assembly hall of the House Church of St. MC. Tatiany at the Moscow state University. Lomonosov will open the exhibition “the Cathedral of the Epiphany in Dorogomilovo. The path to the revival of the Church,” according to Tatiana Day.
The 2018 notes five anniversaries unjustly forgotten relic — the temple of the Epiphany in Dorogomilovo, in the 1930-ies Cathedral of the Moscow diocese:
- 450 years since the Foundation of the temple (CA. 1568);
- 120 years since the day of Foundation of the new Cathedral (1898);
- 110 years since the consecration of the new Cathedral (1908);
- 100 years from the day of the martyrdom of St. Vladimir (Bogoyavlensky), consecrated the new Cathedral (1918);
- 80 years since the destruction of the Cathedral (1938).
The Epiphany Church built by Ivan the terrible, was the historical way to the parish Church of Yamskaya Sloboda the Cathedral of the Patriarchal Cathedral. It was built in the image of the Christ the Savior Cathedral and the Cathedral he has shared the fate (was blown up in 1938), leaving behind many mysteries.
The fate of the temple is linked with the fate of the two future patriarchs: metropolitans Sergius (Stragorodsky) and Pimen (izvekova), the service of which the Church began here — with singing in the Church choir.
Here, the artist Pavel Korin has made about twenty sketches for his painting “disappearing Russia”.
Temple associated with the lives of eleven new martyrs and Confessors of the Russian Church, from the Metropolitan to the ordinary parishioner, owner of the butcher shop.
Community initiative, regenerating the Cathedral, more than ten years of its existence has collected a unique archival and photographic materials. The exhibition also will feature photographs depicting the life of the community and the sketch of the architectural project, designed by the architect R. Zhenskim.
After the opening of the exhibition will be a potluck, everyone will be able to learn more about the history of the Moscow shrines, plans to build, socialize and engage in community life.
During the exhibition, 18 October 2018, from 16.00 to 18.00 will be held a round table “the revival of the historic shrines of Moscow”.
Admission is free.
Address: chapel MTS. Tatiana, Moscow state University, Bolshaya Nikitskaya str., 1. Travel to metro station “Alexandrovsky sad”, “Biblioteka imeni Lenina”, “Ohotniy Ryad”, “Borovitskaya”.
The exhibition will run until October 31, 2018.
- Alexander Antonov, the head of the community, tel +7(905)590 30 03
- Natalia Shakuro, press Secretary, tel +7(903)275 84 89
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Website: http://храм-богоявления-в-дорогомилово.рф
* * *
The Epiphany Cathedral in Dorogomilovo
The area Dorogomilovo, Prince Daniil of Moscow granted his loyal boyar to Ivan Sochi. And when in the end of XVI century here settled the sovereign’s coachmen, they are in the middle of the XVI century and built himself on the main street of wooden Sloboda Church of the Epiphany, with the chapel of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. It is first mentioned in the accountant book 1625 as the Church of the Epiphany in Central Moscow Yamskaya Sloboda.
Church of the Epiphany (1908-1910). View of the temple from the North
Like all churches of the Epiphany, the Church was traditionally built by the water, near the Moscow river (about 400 m): patronal feast day on the river was arranged “Jordan”, and her temple was solemnly heading a procession.
A petition for the construction of the stone Church for the Dorogomilovsky coachmen were filed in 1712, but due to certain difficulties it was built to 1727. During the Patriotic war of 1812 the Church of the Epiphany burned and partially collapsed.
Soon after Napoleon Dorogomilovo visited a new problem — cholera epidemic of 1830. It is believed that in gratitude for getting rid of it in Epiphany Church in 1835 there was a second chapel in honor of the icon of the mother of God “assuage my sorrows”.
Great 1861 was solemnly celebrated in Sochi. Grateful to the drivers, natives of peasants, and other inhabitants, in honor of the abolition of serfdom established in its parish Church a chapel in the name of St. Sergius of Radonezh, patron Saint of Russia. A little later there is another chapel in the name of St. Tikhon of Zadonsk, his Holy relics were glorified in the same 1861.
The abolition of serfdom changed the fate of the temple. Peasants poured into the city for all sorts of work, and the number of parishioners of the Holy Epiphany Church has increased tremendously due to alien workers. The temple, designed for 800 people, could not accommodate all comers.
Close the Church first tried to expand at the expense of the aisles and small rearrangements. And in 1874 decided to erect a new bell tower under the project of architect N. In. Nikitin. In 1895 the government decided to build in Sochi Bryansk (Kiev) railway station, so close the Church of the Epiphany was expecting a huge new influx of new parishioners.
The thrones of the new Church of the Epiphany
In March 1898, the clergy and parishioners, in anticipation of the centenary of the battle of Borodino, decided to build a spacious new Church, which gathered more than 150 thousand rubles. In September it took place a solemn bookmark by architect V. E. Candlemas. The project involved the absorption of one Church to another: the old Church now became the refectory of the new Church.
Because of this the Church of the Epiphany became the most extensive of all the Moscow parish churches and the third in Moscow in size and capacity (ten thousand people), after the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour and the Dormition Cathedral in the Kremlin. The Church itself was occupied, five of thrones.
In 1908, Metropolitan Volodymyr (Epiphany), took later the crown of martyrdom, consecrated a new Church, and his last finished the chapel “soothe my sorrows” in 1910 was consecrated Bishop Triphon (Turkestanov).
By the time of the destruction of the temple had seven thrones. The middle altar was consecrated in honor of the Epiphany, on the South side there were altars in honor of St. Nicholas. Nicholas the Wonderworker and St. Nikita. George, the ven. Sergius of Radonezh, on the North side — in honor of icon of mother of God “assuage my sorrows” icon of the Mother of God “Kazanskaya” and SVT. Tikhon Of Zadonsk.
In 1922, the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour was occupied by the Renovationists. Mentioned the Cathedral remained loyal to the Patriarch, and soon became the Cathedral of the Moscow diocese. It is believed that the chair was moved here in 1931 after the destruction of the temple of Christ the Savior. The other is called earlier date — the end of 1920-ies, since then there were held the Episcopal service.
1920-1930-the worship in this temple was often visited by the artist Pavel Korin. It was here that he made a number of sketches for his famous painting “disappearing Russia”.
In this Cathedral of the future Patriarch Pimen was ordained first deacon and then hieromonk. Within a few years (from 1931 to 1935) o Pimen carried here obedience to the leadership of the Church choir. He took the choir, organized the previously known Regent P. K. Nesterov.
The modern look of the place where the temple stood, photos 2018
The Cathedral was blown up on September 27, 1938. The newspaper “working Moscow” on September 10, 1938, reported: “the temple Walls are extremely strong. In order to blow them up, have to use the so-called concentrated charges of ammonal”. After that, the Department of the Patriarchal Locum Tenens Metropolitan. Sergius (Stragorodsky), later Patriarch, moved to the Cathedral of the Epiphany in Yelokhovo.
Shortly before the destruction of shrines of martyrdom took its rector, Archpriest Vasily Yagodin (†1937) and priest Alexander Buravtsev (†1937). Temple associated with the life of nine martyrs: Hieromartyr. Vladimir (Bogoyavlensky) (†1918), swisp. Nicholas (Mogilevsky) (†1955), ssmcc. Pavel Andreyev (†1937), Alexander Likharev (†1938), Sergiy Lebedev (†1938), Andrey Shershnev (†1937), prmc. Gabriel góra (†1937), Martyr. Matron (Konyukhova) (†1937), MCH. Sergius Tikhomirov (†1922).
The pretext for the demolition of the building was the space for a new socialist construction, there were plans exemplary housing. On the site of the Cathedral was built “General’s” house, on the corner of Bolshaya Dorogomilovskaya street and 2nd Bryansk lane, which began the further development of Sochi. This house has a clipped corner, which is exactly at the place of the altar.