In December of 2018 begins a revival of Nilo-Sora desert, in which almost 60 years located pustynsky psychoneurological boarding school, reports the Synodal Department for monasteries and monasticism.
3 December 2018 social institution was closed.Last patient and all the staff Pustynsky psychoneurological boarding school, left the territory of the Nilo-Sora desert.
The Abbot Bishop monastery of “Nilo-Sora desert” by hieromonk Euthymius (Ershov) started preparation of documents on transfer of property in the regional property, the property of reviving the monastery.
Nilo-Sorsky Hermitage, founded more than 500 years ago, located in a forest pond 16 km from Kirillo-Belozersky monastery.
During this time, she knew the rise and decline of the spiritual and economic life. The history of the monastery is closely connected with the personality of its founder, nil of Sora (1433-1508), one of the founders of nestyazhatelstva. Pilgrimage from the walls of the Kirillo-Belozersky monastery in Constantinople and on mount Athos convinced him of the advantages of the “skete” of contemplative life.
Upon returning, about 1480, he withdrew to the river Sora, where he tried to realize his ideal.
Stone ensemble Nilo-Sora desert was formed by the 1870’s.
The peaceful life of the monks ended pustynsky in connection with revolutionary events in the country. One of the first decrees of the Soviet power the monastery land and the buildings of the monastery passed to the local authorities.
January 16, 1919, was made an inventory of the vestry, temples and all movable and immovable property. September 20, 1924 the Presidium of the St. Cyril’s Executive Committee made the decision to transfer churches and property under the protection of the police of the district Executive Committee.
Soon in Nilo-Sora desert was placed colony Cyril County corrections center.
August 8, 1927, the Presidium of the Cherepovets provincial Executive Committee with the consent of the Glavnauka took the decision to close the Nilo-Sorsky monastery and transfer it to the cultural needs of the population of Kirillovsky district (up to 1930 it housed the colony) to maintain Glavnauka; “historic monument” was left by John the Baptist skit with all the equipment.
Currently, Nilo-Sorskaya deserts is a stone architectural ensemble of the middle XIX – beginning of XX century and has the status of a cultural monument.
Buildings dilapidated, slowly disintegrating.
Of the monastic buildings survived the gate Church of the intercession, Abbot’s building, rebuilt the Tikhvin Cathedral the cell buildings built into the walls of the monastery.
At the South-Eastern corner of Tikhvin Church, which housed a dining room for patients of a boarding school, the relics of venerable. Nil Of Sora.