On the territory of Znamensky monastery in Moscow was restored fraternal body XVII century, reports the Synodal Department for monasteries and monasticism with reference to the official website of the Moscow mayor. It is a stone house with a wooden roof, which was placed in a two-storey monastic cells. It was built by Kostroma masters of Feodor Grigoriev and Georgi Anisimov in 1684-1689.
The building is a monument of architecture of Federal significance. It is located in a historic area of Zaryadye, near the entrance to the Park from the side of the Varvarka street. Specialists put in order facades, regained the lost interiors and made modern communications.
“Over the comprehensive restoration of communal housing, which was held in two phases: in the past year have been completely restored facades, and the interiors of the building. Our experts have evaluated and accepted the work done. The appearance of the building now matches the one that was in the beginning of the last century. For example, the return entrance on the West side, and the entrance from the North, on the contrary, laid. The restorers put in order window grilles, restored copper chimney on the chimneys and the stairs and the bridge street Varvarka, leading to the building. All work was carried out under the careful supervision of the Department of cultural heritage”, – said the head of Moscow cultural heritage Department Alexey Emelyanov.
Strengthened the Foundation of the house, restored brick walls, updated plaster. Restored triangular pediments crowning the Windows of cells, and inter-floor cornices. The wooden roof and other building elements have been treated with solutions that will protect them from premature damage or exposure to fire. Inside communal housing also recreated the original interiors: wooden flooring, internal doors, door frames and window openings.
In a fraternal body of the Znamensky monastery today houses the Moscow city branch of all-Russian society of protection of monuments of history and culture. The building belongs to the Russian Orthodox Church.
Buildings on the territory of the Znamensky monastery on the Old Prince’s yard in its history has been repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt. For example, during the Patriotic war of 1812, the Napoleonic soldiers plundered the monastery, but at the bottom it was possible to hold services. After the war the restoration of the complex was designed by the architect Dmitry Borisov.
In 1908-1909 the community building were sold under an apartment house. After the building has built two floors, monastic cells almost lost its historic character.
Recovery housing began in the second half of the XX century: during the design of the hotel “Russia” the decision was made to restore the most interesting monuments of the historic district of Zaryadye. The work was carried out repeatedly since the mid-1970’s to the early 2000’s. to Look at one of the oldest monuments of architecture it is possible to the address: street the barbarian, from home, 8-10.
Conservation and restoration of architectural monuments in Moscow – the most important direction in work of the Moscow cultural heritage Department.