25 Dec 2018 Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Kirill led the solemn ceremony of memory of a Metropolitan Moscow and Kolomna Macarius (Bulgakov) in the field of natural Sciences in 2018, according to patriarhiei.
The ceremony was held in the conference hall of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow. At the main entrance of the building of the RAS Presidium of the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church met the President of the Russian Academy of Sciences A. M. Sergeev and Chairman of the Foundation of St. Macarius the Metropolitan of Tashkent and Uzbekistan Vikenty.
Before the solemn act took place a conversation of his Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with academician A. M. Sergeev.
In the solemn meeting was attended by: Chairman of the Fund Macarius the Metropolitan of Tashkent and Uzbekistan Vikenty; the first vicar of the Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia for Moscow Metropolitan Arseny of Istra; chief editor of the Publishing house of the Moscow Patriarchate Bishop Balashikha Nikolay; rector of St. Petersburg theological Academy Bishop of Peterhof Seraphim; the President of the Russian Academy of Sciences A. M. Sergeev, Chairman of the Moscow city Duma A. Shaposhnikov; the head of the national policy and interregional relations of Moscow V. I. Knots; Chairman of the Expert Council on the Humanities Makarii Fund, President of the historical faculty of Moscow state University named after M. V. Lomonosov, academician S. P. Karpov; Chairman of the Expert Council for natural Sciences of the Makarii Fund, Vice-President of RAS academician of RAS V. N. Parmon; head of the Church research center “Orthodox encyclopedia”Sergei Kravets; members of the Expert councils, the winners and nominees for 2017-2018; members of the clergy and the scientific community; benefactors and employees of the Makarii Fund.
The event was broadcast live on TV channel “Union”.
The Chairman of the Makarii Fund Metropolitan Vikenty of Tashkent announced the opening of the awards ceremony. In his welcoming speech, the Bishop noted that for the first time today, a hundred years later, with the blessing of His Holiness will be awarded the St. Macarius awards in the natural Sciences. This became possible thanks to the support of the President of the Russian Academy of Sciences A. M. Sergeev and the mayor of Moscow S. S. Sobyanin.
Then the participants were addressed by his Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Kirill.
Participants were welcomed by the President of the Russian Academy of Sciences A. M. Sergeev.
Chairman of the Moscow city Duma A. Shaposhnikov announced a greeting of the mayor of Moscow S. S. Sobyanin.
A report by the Chairman of the Expert Council for awards in the field of natural Sciences, Vice-President of the Russian Academy of Sciences, RAS academician V. N. Parmon.
His Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Kirill presented the awards for significant achievements in scientific work: the candidate of geographical Sciences, G. G. Rusanov and candidate of biological Sciences S. V. Vaavu; author’s group, the doctor of biological Sciences T. A. Mikhailova, candidate of biological Sciences O. V. Kalugina, candidate of biological Sciences O. V. Sergino.
Next, his Holiness the Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Kirill held a ceremony of awarding the laureates of the St. Macarius prize in natural Sciences for 2018.
In the nomination “the Methods of natural and exact Sciences in the study of Church history, and Christian antiquities and cultural heritage of Russia and the Slavic countries, innovative technologies, providing high quality heritage conservation” was awarded to:
- first prize — a team of authors under the leadership of doctor of historical Sciences L. N. Mylnikova (the group also includes candidate of historical Sciences Kobeleva L. S., candidate of historical Sciences M. S. Nesterova);
- third prize — candidate of philological Sciences A. Yu. Borodikhina;
- third prize — candidate of sociological Sciences E. E. Zhukovsky.
In the nomination “Scientific research in the field of rational nature management, ecology and environmental protection” was awarded to:
- first prize — Dr. of technical Sciences A. S. Noskov;
- second prize — the doctor of geological-mineralogical Sciences, academician V. I. Osipov;
- third prize — doctor of technical Sciences, academician I. V. Bychkov;
- third prize — doctor of physico-mathematical Sciences, academician of the RAS S. V. Alekseenko.
In the nomination “Scientific research in the field of natural and exact Sciences, with high social and civic value” were awarded:
- first prize — a team of authors under the guidance of doctor of chemical Sciences I. A. homeland (the group also includes the doctor of chemical Sciences I. V. Rybalchenko, candidate of chemical Sciences M. A. Statkus);
- third prize — a team of authors under the guidance of doctor of medical Sciences A. A. Khadartsev (the group also includes the doctor of biological Sciences N.. Fuding, doctor of biological Sciences Vladimir A. Orlov);
- third prize — a team of authors under the guidance of doctor of economic Sciences, Vice-President of RAS V. V. Ivanov (the group also includes the doctor of physico-mathematical Sciences G. G. Malinetskii, doctor of philosophical Sciences, academician of the RAS V. S. Stepin).
The youth prize was awarded to doctor of medical Sciences A. Yu. Maranan.
From awarded made first prize winner, doctor of chemistry, Professor of chemical faculty of Moscow state University named after M. V. Lomonosov, I. A. Rodin.
Then his Holiness the Patriarch awarded the members of the Expert Council and Board of Trustees of the Makarii Fund. By decree of His Holiness in consideration of the contribution to the affirmation of traditional values in society medal “In commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the restoration of the Patriarchate in the Russian Orthodox Church” was awarded:
- V. N. Parmon, Chairman of the Expert Council for natural Sciences Fund for awards in memory of Metropolitan of Moscow and Kolomna Macarius (Bulgakov), academician of RAS, Chairman of Siberian Department and Vice-President of RAS;
members of the Expert Council for natural Sciences
- V. V. Zverev, academician of RAS, Director of Scientific research Institute of vaccines and sera them. I. I. Mechnikova of the Russian Academy of medical Sciences;
- Y. A. Zolotov, academician, head of Department of chemical faculty of the Moscow state University named after M. V. Lomonosov;
- S. V. Krivovichev, doctor of geological-mineralogical Sciences, Professor, corresponding member of RAS, Chairman of the Federal research centre “Kola scientific center, Russian Academy of Sciences”;
- A. V. Sirenov, doctor of historical Sciences, Professor, corresponding member of RAS, Director of the St. Petersburg Institute of history, RAS;
the Trustees Makarii Fund
- G. S. Izotova, Chairman of the Board of Directors of JSC “City electric system”;
- A. L. Rvachev, Director for regional development of the company Price Voterkhaus Coopers.
Metropolitan Vikenty expressed gratitude to His Holiness for participation in the ceremony.
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill thanked Metropolitan Vikentiy, the mayor’s office and those whose support was held the ceremony of awarding prizes to scientists who have made significant contributions to the development of science.
“The undeniable contribution of science to the development of humanity. But we know scientific achievements can, however, bring enormous damage to the individual, society, nature. Science has force, and force can be applied in different ways, — said the Primate. — Therefore, the humanization of science, education of the representatives of the science of the sense of responsibility for the results of their labors — that is what should be concerned about the whole society”.
According to His Holiness, “it is necessary to develop a dialogue with the scientific community, as well as with the creative intelligentsia, and a special place in the relationship of scientists with our people it is intended to take the Russian Orthodox Church.”
“I thank the Academy of Sciences for the fact that the importance of such a dialogue was realized first and foremost nuclear physicists. Our first meetings took place in Sarov, in the famous Institute, in the depths of which was created the nuclear shield of our country. In the closed monastery of St. Seraphim, the great Russian sacred relic, comparable to the Trinity-Sergius Lavra, was created by saving our people and our country from destruction,” reminded his Holiness Patriarch.
“God forbid that the opposition of science and religion, artificially created under the influence of the ideological factors of the past centuries, was transformed in the twenty-first century. I have a feeling that Russia is “ahead of the rest” in this wonderful way. May the Lord bless our scientific community, and let developing the interaction of the Church and the scientific community for the benefit of the Fatherland. Thank you all for your participation and attention”, — concluded the Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Kirill.
Metropolitan Vikenty of Tashkent made a short speech and presented a certificate of appreciation Makarii Fund for supporting scientific and educational programs, the Advisor to the first Deputy President — Chairman of the Board — senior Vice President of VTB Bank. I. V. Zubkov.
After the official part of the ceremony was a concert by the chamber orchestra.