About 80 scientists and theologians from 15 countries participated in the international conference “Kiev-Pechersk Lavra in Athos, Jerusalem: the unity through the ages” held on 20 – 21 July 2018 in the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra – the website afon.org.ua.
The forum was dedicated to the 30th anniversary of the revival of monastic life in Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra, 1035 anniversary of the birthday of the “father of ancient monasticism” of the PDP. Anthony of the caves and 1,030 th anniversary of the Baptism of Kievan Rus.
One of the organizers of the conference were the international Institute of the Athonite legacy. Co-organizers are the Holy Dormition Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra, the national Kyiv-Pechersk historical and cultural reserve, Kiev theological Academy and Seminary.
The first part of the plenary session began with a traditional welcome speech.
The first addressed the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan of Kiev and all Ukraine Onufry. Wishing the participants success and calling on all God’s blessing, he stressed the importance of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra for the entire Orthodox world, but also noted its centuries-old close ties with the Holy land and the Holy Mountain.
After this was read out welcoming speech to the participants of the conference, his Beatitude Patriarch of Jerusalem and all Palestine Theophilus III, which was read by the Deputy head of the ecclesiastical mission in Jerusalem, hieromonk Dometian (Markarian). Stressing the importance of the centuries-old relations of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra with the Holy city of Jerusalem, Patriarch Theophilos his message ended with the following words: “we have Opened today an international conference will help a deeper understanding of the beneficial value of the unity of the Church and its fortifications. Therefore, I congratulate you with the festive celebrations and the opening of this conference, we urge you and your work abundant grace of the all-Holy and life-giving Tomb of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Was also read out greetings to the organizers and participants of the forum from the first Hierarch of ROCOR, Metropolitan of Eastern America and new York Hilarion, the honorary Chairman of the International Institute of the Athonite heritage (MIAN) Dyaliscope Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware), Abbot on mount Athos Russian monastery of St. Panteleimon Archimandrite Evlogy (Ivanov) and of the Abbot of the Athonite monastery of xenophontos, Archimandrite Alexy (Muziris).
Conference participants also congratulated the Deputy kiyevo-Pechersky monastery the Metropolitan Vyshgorodsky and Chernobyl Pavel, rector of the Kiev theological Academy and Seminary Bishop of Belgorod Sylvester, Abbot of the neamţ monastery (Romania) Archimandrite Venedikt (Zouchuqu), Director of the International Institute of the Athonite heritage, S. V. Shumilo, Director of the Department for religions and nationalities of Ministry of culture of Ukraine A. V. yurash, acting Director General of the National Kyiv-Pechersk historical and cultural reserve AV Mine.
- During the second part of the plenary session, Metropolitan Pavel of Vyshgorod made a report on “the Spiritual connection of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, the city of Jerusalem and the Holy mount Athos”.
- The Governor Pochayiv Lavra Metropolitan Vladimir made a report on “the Kiev Pechersk Lavra and the Pochayiv Lavra, the spiritual unity and common history. Look through the ages”.
- Then, the rector of KTHA, Bishop Sylvester, a report on “the Contribution of Church-archaeological society at the Kyiv theological Academy to the study of the history and attractions of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra”.
- The Governor of neamţ monastery in Romania Archimandrite Venedikt (Zouchuqu) made a report on “Nemecka Laurel and PRP. Paisius (Velichkovsky)”.
- Deputy head of the ecclesiastical mission in Jerusalem, hieromonk Dometian (Markaryan) read out a report on “features of the Ministry of Russian monasticism in the Holy land”.
- Director of the International Institute of the Athonite heritage, S. V., Shumylo introduced the report on “Ancient Russian Lavra on Athos and venerable. Anthony Of The Caves”.
- Vice-rector of the Kiev theological Academy and Seminary for scientific and theological work Professor Vladimir Burega read a report on the theme “the Monk Simeon Dubasky as a graduate of the Kiev theological Academy and the successor of the Kyivan tradition of cave monasticism in Montenegro”.
- Also at the plenary part of the conference from the Athonite monastery of St. Panteleimon has made a report on “the Venerable Anthony of the Kiev-Pechersk as the founder of eldership in Russia”, which with the blessing of the hegumen of the Russian Svyatogorsky monastery Archimandrite Eulogy was read by the Archbishop of Nizhyn and Pryluky Clement, Chairman of the education Committee of the UOC and the Synodal information Department of the UOC.
Further work of the conference continued in four sections:
- “Kiev-Pechersk Lavra: the history and ascetics”;
- “Spiritually-historical and cultural ties with the Holy Land and Mount Athos”;
- “Kiev-Pechersk Lavra: the legacy, literature and art”;
- “Kiev-Pechersk Lavra and the Orthodox monasteries and monasticism in Central and Eastern Europe.”
The event was attended by representatives of mount Athos and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, as well as the UK, USA, Russia, Belarus, Greece, Israel, Austria, Germany, Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova, Poland, Serbia, Czech Republic, Georgia.
Two days, from early morning to late evening, the conference participants devoted to the study and discussion of topical issues of history of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, the ancient monks and their spiritual and historical ties with the Holy land, the Holy Mount Athos and other centers of Orthodox spirituality.
The forum ended on 21 July in the late evening. This conference was designed to promote the exchange of experience, systematic and comprehensive discussion, study and promotion of cultural heritage of Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra, its role and importance in the history and culture of the peoples of East Central Europe and the Christian East.
On July 22-23, in memory of the PDP. Anthony of the caves, a solemn Liturgy on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the revival of monastic life in Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra and 1035 anniversary of the birthday of the PDP. Anthony Of The Caves.