August 19, 2018, the feast of the Transfiguration of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, his Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Kirill visited Arkhangelsk Kotlas diocese of the Archdiocese, according to patriarhiei.
In the Central square of the city of Kotlas, the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church celebrated the divine Liturgy.
Concelebrating were: the Metropolitan of St. Petersburg and Ladoga Varsonofy, Chancellor of the Moscow Patriarchate; Metropolitan of Arkhangelsk and Kholmogory Daniel; Archbishop Sergiy of Solnechnogorsk, head of the Administrative Secretariat of the Moscow Patriarchate; Bishop of Kotlas and Velsk Basil; Bishop of plesetsky and Kargopolsky Alexander; Bishop of Totma and Veliky Tarasius; Archpriest Nikolai Karpets, rector of the Church of the Holy Trinity D. Fondatore Kotlassky district, chaplain of the Kotlas diocese; Archpriest Vasiliy Karpets, rector of the Church of the Kazan icon of the Mother of God p. Urdoma of Lensk region (the Kotlas diocese); – Archpriest Andrew Maruschak, cleric of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow; the clergy of the diocese Kotlas.
The service was attended by Plenipotentiary representative of RF President in the northwestern Federal district Alexander Beglov; the Governor of the Arkhangelsk region I. A. Orlov, the head of the municipality “Kotlas” A. V. Brannin; heads of municipalities and heads of enterprises of the Arkhangelsk region.
Sang liturgical hymns of the Episcopal choir of the Nizhny Novgorod diocese (Regent — K. A. Moleva).
On the TV channel “Union” was a live broadcast of the Patriarchal worship.
After the litany of fervent supplication, the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church prayed for peace in Ukraine.
Sermon before the communion, the clergyman said the Kotlas diocese of the priest Konstantin Porohin, senior priest of the Church of St. Longinus Koryazhemskaya in Koryazhma Arkhangelsk region.
According to tradition the feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church celebrated the consecration of the new harvest.
The Bishop of Kotlas and Velsk Basil greeted his Holiness and presented His Holiness with an icon of the Archangel Michael — the heavenly patron of the Arkhangelsk earth.
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill addressed the many faithful who filled the Central square of the city, with a primatial homily.
In gratitude for the labors for the good of the Church, his Holiness presented to Bishop Basil pectoral cross, made in memory of the 100th anniversary of the restoration of the Patriarchate in the Russian Orthodox Church and the election of St. Tikhon to the Patriarchal throne. The gift of the Cathedral, the Patriarch gave the list of the Smolensk icon of the Mother of God, for the churches of the diocese — eight altar Gospels.
Then his Holiness Patriarch Kirill, accompanied by the Metropolitan of St. Petersburg and Ladoga Varsonofy, Metropolitan of Arkhangelsk and Kholmogory Daniel, Archbishop Sergius of Solnechnogorsk, Bishop Basil of Kotlas and Velsk visited St. Stephen’s Cathedral Kotlas. The high guests were met by the priest Evgenii Dolgopolov, senior priest of St. Stephen’s Cathedral, head of the diocesan Department for religious education and catechesis.
Patriarch Kirill also visited the spiritual and educational center of the city of Kotlas, located on the temple grounds.
Upon completion of the program of the visit Kotlas Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church left for Solovki.
* * *
History of St. Stephen’s Church originates from XIV century, when the pagan villagers Komarnica Pirasa preacher Stephen of Perm was built a wooden Orthodox chapel. With the increasing number of villagers little chapel was dismantled and in its place was built a wooden Church. Was made in it two altars, one in honour of St. Nicholas, the second — in honor of the archdeacon Stephen.
In the middle of the XVII century next to the Church, parishioners found the manifest icon of the Vladimir mother of God. On the findings set wooden tent-roofed Church in honour, a copy of the Vladimir icon of the Mother of God, and prituplenny to the Church the chapel was consecrated in honor of St. Stefan of Perm. Formed the parish received the name kotlasskaya St. Stephan.
In 1776 the Church caught fire from a lightning strike. From a burning building managed to make only some of the icons, including the manifest icon of the Vladimir mother of God.
In 1785, had completed construction of a stone Church in honor of the Vladimir icon of the Mother of God with St. Nicholas chapel and the chapel in honor of the first Martyr archdeacon Stephen, and the old Stefano Nicholas Church was demolished.
In 1825, in place of the dismantled Nicholas Church the parishioners under the leadership of a local farmer, Lev Belyaev Trofimovich began to build a stone cold Church, “cancellous up the bell tower.” It was consecrated on December 8, 1829, in honour of Saint Stephen, Bishop of Perm.
In 1928 there were attempts to disassemble the fence to the bricks, and in early 1931, the city Council demanded from the community to release one of the temples.
In the period 1932-1937 years churches have placed the mill and the Creamery. Priests were exiled from Kotlas.
After the war, in connection with numerous requests of believers, the decision was made to transfer the temples to the community. In 1947, for the position of rector of St. Stephen’s parish Kotlas Bishop of Arkhangelsk and Kholmogory Leontius was appointed priest Vladimir zhokhov. It was decided to first refurbish the St. Stephen’s Church.
In 1948 Sangokushi from the closed Church of St. Stephen in the temple was brought the iconostasis (the old iconostasis was destroyed in 1931). Started worship.
After the establishment of the Kotlas diocese with the blessing of Bishop Basil of Kotlas and Velsk in 2012 in the lower Church in honor of St. Nicholas. Nicholas was made a capital repair and restoration works were carried out outside of the temple. Also restoration work has been done at the Church-bell in honor of SVT. Stephen Of Perm. The Cathedral of the newly formed diocese of Kotlas were identified stefanovskaya Church in Kotlas.